Friday, August 18, 2017

Browned Butter Cinnamon Crinkles



Our hot weather finally has ended and it’s very lovely again in the Pacific Northwest! My house cooled down enough that I can bake again, and I am so happy about that. Of course, even though it is only mid-August, I am thinking about fall already. I went looking for recipes to make this week and I knew that I wanted something that at least hinted at fall. These sounded wonderful: browned butter cinnamon crinkles.

I love cinnamon recipes, apples, ginger, and other spices. These cookies are reminiscent to snickerdoodles, but have a different, richer flavor. The browned butter adds a nuttiness, and the brown sugar enhances the flavor as well. I have made a number of recipes with browned butter, and sometimes you can taste it and sometimes you can’t. As this is a fairly simple recipe, I feel like the browned butter flavor shines through. Be careful when browning the butter, as it can burn very easily. It seems like it takes a different amount of time each time I make it, so my rule is just don’t walk away when you are browning butter.

These cookies are simple to put together, and don’t require any special ingredients. I did have to buy eggs as it’s been so hot and I haven’t been cooking and baking that my eggs were out of date! I refrigerated the dough overnight, as I ran out of time the evening I made the dough. It took quite a while for the dough to become pliable after chilling, but at least the dough was easy to shape. These cookies come out of the oven nicely crinkled, and the powdered sugar coating becomes somewhat like a glaze. These cookies have a wonderful cinnamon, nutty flavor. They are soft, especially when they are fresh out of the oven, and just perfect as we look towards fall.

Browned Butter Cinnamon Crinkles
10 tablespoons butter
2½ cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar
¼ cup packed brown sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
Powdered sugar

Cut the putter into pieces and place in a medium saucepan. Heat the butter over medium heat until the butter melts. Continue cooking, swirling the pan frequently, until the butter browns and smells slightly nutty. This can take 5 minutes or longer. Watch carefully, as the butter can burn very quickly. Transfer the browned butter to a small dish and allow it to cool for about 10 minutes.

In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt; set aside. In a large mixer bowl, add the sugar, brown sugar, and the slightly cooled browned butter. Beat on medium until the mixture is combined. Add in the eggs and vanilla and stir again on medium until combined. With the mixer running on low, gradually add the flour mixture, stirring just until the dough comes together. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least an hour.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats.

Shape the dough into 1-1/2” balls. Roll the balls in powdered sugar and place on the prepared baking sheets. If desired, flatten the balls slightly with the palm of your hand.

Bake for 9-11 minutes, until the cookies are set. Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheets for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.

Recipe from Cookies and Cups

No comments: