Friday, June 16, 2017

Oreo Chunk Cookies



It’s the last week of school and it’s been very busy! I had failed to plan which cookies I was going to bake. The other night I had to run a late evening errand and I asked my husband to pick some cookies to make for this week. He didn’t disappoint, and by the time I got back he had sent me four different cookies. I ended up making this one, as I had already pinned a recipe that was very similar. We were certainly on the same wavelength!

I really like Oreos, and it is one of the few store-bought cookies that we buy occasionally. This recipe uses both Oreo cookie crumbs and chopped up Oreos, added into a brown sugar cookie dough. When I read the recipe, I noticed that the yield of the recipe was only 24 cookies. I should have investigated further and looked at the quantity of flour and butter in the recipe, which I think gives a better indication of how many cookies it will make. Cookies vary so much in size; one person’s cookie might make two cookies for another.

I ended up making 1 & 1/2 times the recipe, which was a mistake! It made an enormous amount of dough. I made my normal sized cookies, and I made five dozen cookies and still had dough left. I refrigerated the rest of the dough, to bake another day. Don’t skip the refrigeration of the dough, as these cookies spread even with refrigeration. These cookies have the great flavor of Oreos, in a crispy, buttery and brown sugary cookie. Just make the recipe as I’ve written it here, otherwise you will have a ton of cookies.

Oreo Chunk Cookies
10 Oreos
2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup butter, room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla
2 eggs
14 Oreos, quartered

In a food processor, process the 10 Oreos until you have fine crumbs. In a medium bowl, whisk together the Oreo crumbs, flour, baking soda, and salt; set aside.

In a large mixer bowl, beat the butter, sugar and brown sugar on medium until light. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition. Stir in the vanilla. With the mixer running on low, gradually add the flour mixture, stirring just until mixed. Stir in the quartered Oreos with a spatula.

Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least an hour.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats.

Shape the dough into 1-1/4” balls and place on the baking sheets. Leave a couple of inches of space around each cookie as the dough will spread while baking.

Bake for 12-15 minutes, until done along the edges. Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheets for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack.

Recipe from http://dinnerthendessert.com/oreo-chunk-cookie/ Dinner then Dessert

No comments: