Friday, April 28, 2017

Molasses Cinnamon Chocolate Bars



I had planned another cookie for today, but I just wasn’t feeling that this week when it was time to bake. As I was leaving work, I asked my friend if she had any cookie requests. She said something molasses/cinnamon. I didn’t think that was very springy, but I guess that’s where we are with the weather this year. I swear it was sunny all day and then as soon as it was time to go home it was raining. Thinking about it more, a molasses/cinnamon cookie sounded great. Yes, those are fall/winter flavors, but still some of my favorites.

These bar cookies have those flavors, cinnamon and cinnamon chips, as well as chocolate. I don’t normally bake cookies in an 8” pan, as it doesn’t make very many and I always take my cookies to work. I had recently purchased a lovely deep 8” square pan with a removeable bottom, so I was excited to use it. I’m glad I had this particular pan, as these bars are quite thick and a shallower pan may have made for an oven disaster.

These bars are super easy to mix up. The dough is very thick and I found that patting the dough into the pan with damp hands worked the best. Baking these was tricky, knowing when they are baked through. Honestly, as thick as they are I doubt you could get them baked completely. This type of cookie should be a little gooey, which they certainly were when I cut them, still slightly warm. The have a great spice flavor, and the molasses comes in subtle at the end. Springy, no, but I’m still waiting for spring to arrive.


Molasses Cinnamon Chocolate Bars

¾ cup butter, room temperature
½ cup sugar
½ cup packed brown sugar
2 eggs
2 tablespoons molasses
2¼ cups flour
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1½ teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon ginger
½ teaspoon nutmeg
¼ teaspoon cloves
1 cup chocolate chips
1 cup cinnamon chips

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line an 8” square baking pan with foil and spray the foil with nonstick cooking spray.

In a large mixer bowl, beat the butter, sugar, and brown sugar on medium until light, about 3 minutes. Add the eggs and molasses and beat again on medium until incorporated. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and cloves. With the mixer running on low, gradually add the flour mixture. When the flour is almost mixed into the dough, stop the mixer, add the chocolate and cinnamon chips, and stir on low until the dough comes together. Press the dough into the prepared pan.

Bake for 25-35 minutes, until a knife inserted in the center of the bars comes out almost clean. Allow the pan to cool before cutting into bars.

No comments: