Friday, October 14, 2016

Cinnamon Chip Biscotti



We’re having super stormy weather in the Seattle area, with tons of rain and wind predicted. Even though the rain is just starting, our library building is already leaking, and I sat at work all day listening to the rain on the roof. When I have days like this, all I want to do is go home and bake. I had planned a different cookie for today, but it just didn’t fit my mood. I wanted something homey and comforting. I picked a couple of recipes from my Pinterest site and my friend at work picked. She picked these biscotti.

I don’t make biscotti a lot, and sometimes I find them to be too dry. At least homemade ones are better. They aren’t so hard that they’ll break your teeth. Of course they are still good with coffee or tea, but they are enjoyable on their own, too. I shaped these a little bit differently, to 4 smaller logs. That make for smaller cookies overall, but I think that worked a little better.

I was worried that these would be crumbly when I cut them into slices, but I was pleasantly surprised. A biscotti with nuts and chips I thought would be especially difficult to work with, but they cut beautifully. When they come out of the oven after the second bake, don’t worry if the cookies seem soft. As the cool they will harden up, but they don’t get overly hard. I like the topping of cinnamon and white chocolate chips. I think biscotti can be a little plain, but these look and taste fantastic.               
Cinnamon Chip Biscotti  
½ cup butter, room temperature
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
10-oz package cinnamon chips, divided
1 cup finely chopped pecans
1 cup white chocolate chips
2 tablespoons vegetable shortening

Heat oven to 325 degrees. Line a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat.

In a large mixer bowl, combine the butter and sugar. Beat on medium until light. Add the eggs and vanilla and beat again on medium until combined. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. With the mixer running on low, gradually add the flour mixture, beating just until the flour is incorporated. Add 1 cup cinnamon chips and the pecans; stir on low until the dough comes together.

Divide the dough into 4 quarters. Shape each piece of dough into a log, about 3 inches wide and 8 inches long. Place the dough on the prepared baking sheet, leaving about 2 inches between each piece of dough.

Bake for 25-30 minutes, until set and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Allow to cool on the baking sheet for 30 minutes. (Keep the oven on.)

On a cutting board, cut the logs diagonally into ½” slices. Place them cut side down on that baking sheet. Bake for an additional 5 minutes. Turn the slices over and bake for 8 more minutes. Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

Melt the remaining cinnamon chips with 1 tablespoon shortening, stirring until smooth. Drizzle over the cooled biscotti. Melt the white chocolate chips with 1 tablespoon shortening, stirring until smooth. Drizzle over the biscotti. Allow the drizzle to set before serving.

Recipe from Tried and Tasty

No comments: