Friday, September 23, 2016

Maple Blondies with Chocolate and Butterscotch Chips



Sorry that I missed last week! School has started and it’s been very busy. I had a summery treat planned as the weather was nice, but I think I am going to go full fall now. I love fall baking and I have quite a few recipes ready to go. This week, I was in a bit of a time crunch due to some other activities planned, so I picked these quick but wonderful maple blondies. 

I had the butterscotch and chocolate chunks already. I normally have maple syrup on hand, but in December when our refrigerator stopped working, I had to throw out a lot of things. This recipe originally called for grade B maple syrup, which is darker and richer, but I can’t find that very easily. I used grade A syrup, which is pretty easy to find. Whatever you do, don’t use fake maple/pancake syrup!

What struck me the most about these bars was that they came out of the oven perfectly even. Usually bar cookies are a bumpy and lumpy, but these were perfect. The maple flavor combined with the butterscotch is a wonderful homey flavor. I like these blondies with dark chocolate chunks because you really need something to balance the sweetness of the other elements. This are really lovely and the perfect cookie for fall.

Maple Blondies with Chocolate and Butterscotch Chips   
2⅓ cups flour
1½ teaspoon baking powder
¾ teaspoon salt
14 tablespoons butter, room temperature
1 ¼ cups firmly packed brown sugar
½ cup maple syrup
2 eggs, room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla
¾ cup dark chocolate chunks
¾ cup butterscotch chips

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9” x 13” pan with nonstick cooking spray.

In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, and salt. In a large mixer bowl, beat the butter and brown sugar on medium until light. Add the maple syrup and beat again on medium until combined. Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing for one minute after each addition. Stir in the vanilla.

With the mixer running on low, add the flour mixture in thirds, mixing just until the flour is incorporated. Fold in the chocolate and butterscotch chips with a spatula. Spread the dough evenly into the prepared pan.

Bake for 30-35 minutes, until golden and a thin knife inserted in the bars comes out clean. Cool completely on a wire rack before cutting into bars.

Recipe from Sweet Recipeas

No comments: